We have some requirements that are always followed as a safety measure when handling pigs:
- It is required that someone is present to help restrain the pig
- The pig needs to be confined in a very small area
- The pig cannot have food or water after midnight the night before
- As a safety measure, the Pig is always sedated
- There is a high risk with sedation because there are no sedatives made specifically for pigs. The doctors use a canine sedative.
- The owner must be able to supervise the pig after sedation in a safe, quiet environment, free of anything sharp/hard. Sometimes it can take all day for the pig to fully recover.
- The pig should not eat until fully awake following sedation.
ECLAP offers routine services for Pot Bellied Pigs to include the following:
- Ear Cleaning
- Hoof Trimming
- Check Eyes
- Trim/File Tusks